Wednesday 12 January 2011

A pictures paints a thousand words

In the words of the late great Telly Savalas (people under 20 may need to ask their parents who he was!) "A picture paints a thousand words". (I think he said it first... He certainly sung a song about it, and a good song too). Anyway...

When I'm taking a picture (especially a wedding picture) I already have in my minds-eye what I want the picture to say.

It happens in almost an instant as I look at a scene and I instinctively know if the picture I'm looking at, tells a story.

I believe all photos should convey a message of some sort.  That's why we like some pictures over others. Often we look at a picture and don't know why we like it more than another, but when you break it down its usually because there is something that 'speaks' to you at a very personal level.. Cool eh!?

So next time you're looking at a picture, try thinking about what its communicating.  It could be the look in the eye of the subject, or the isolation of the wilderness with a solitary tree in the foreground. No matter what the subject matter, every picture should communicate something.


(Helen & Richard having a good time!)

No comments:

Post a Comment