Sunday 23 January 2011

Photoshop can be a life saver!

I know that there are some people out there who feel that Photoshop (the photo editing software of choice of most photographers) is over used and is often used to try and 'save' a picture where the exposure or lighting has been poorly set and the picture potentially lost forever.

There's almost a 'snobbery' which has built up where some photographers will disregard a photo if they get a hint that it's been 'shopped'.  I think this is a shame because like any tool, Photoshop simply opens up a host of options that allows us to get the best from a picture or to draw from it a different feeling or emotion.

In my wedding photography I always work through Photoshop CS4 to ensure each photo 'shines' and looks great.  I've been accused of doing 'to much editing', but I feel that the bride and groom deserve only the best photos of their special day so I take great pride in reviewing each photo and checking exposure, lighting, skin tones,  backgrounds and foregrounds etc.  Then when the photo is just right, I may then look to create an additional version where the picture is obviously 'shopped'.  This includes turning an image black&white, sepia, soft blur or selective colouring.  The options [with Photoshop] seem almost endless.

However, I think it's important to note that Photoshop offers me, as a photographer even more flexibility because it allows me to give the bride and groom everything they want from the day.  For example, in the pictures below you'll see the 'before' and 'after' effects of using Photoshop on a particular wedding I shot at Whirlowbrook Hall in Sheffield.


(Before Photoshop)

It was a particularly gray day and the rain had made the ground pretty water logged.  But Donna wanted shots of her on the lawn in front of the Hall.  No problem... the answer was simple.  Take a white sheet, place it on the ground and let Donna stand on it, safe in the knowledge that her dress won't be ruined. Then once she is back inside (after having several friends help carry her dress!) I took a picture of the grass where she was standing.

Then, once I'm home and working in Photoshop I simply take out the sheet, to reveal the grass below by combining both images (sounds simple, but requires a little patience!)

(After Photoshop)

Importantly for me this gives the bride just what she wanted and ensures she has pictures that she can cherish.

So, whilst Photoshop can be over used, I think it's an amazing tool which gives photographers a wealth of opportunities and options to ensure we can deliver fantastic pictures that we can all be proud of.  Ultimately, I think that's what we all want. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment