Tuesday 15 March 2011

Wedding Fayres

I’m often asked if I ‘do’ wedding fayres and as a wedding and portrait photographer  I suppose the correct answer should be “Yes and I love them!”  but the honest answer is “Not often... and they’re ok.”  Let me explain. 

I love meeting new people and wedding fayres certainly give you that opportunity, but of the few I’ve attended I feel they don’t offer you the 1-2-1 time that a couple looking for a photographer truly deserves. 

I attended one recently where I watched as a busy photographer constantly looked around at the people passing by her stall as she chatted to the couple in front of her.  You could see the fear in her eyes as all these potential clients walked by, not wishing to disturb them.  I know how this feels, because I work alone at these fayres so I have to be very much ‘on the ball’, but more importantly I try to focus on one client at a time.  If people are interested and want to talk to me, then they’ll return when I’m not talking to anyone or they’ll take a leaflet and give me a call (well, that’ the hope anyway).

Wedding fayres are great for couples to meet the people who will offer them some great services and make their day special, but I wouldn’t rely totally on what you see at the fayre.  I’d always suggest a follow up meeting in more relaxed circumstances where you can ask the all important probing questions about the packages and the style of photography.

I feel the initial meeting should be enough to make you relaxed and confident that person in front of you is someone you can get along with and work with to deliver what you want for your big day.

If you’ve any experiences (funny or otherwise) then feel free to share them below.

No comments:

Post a Comment